Flexible Learning Days
What are flexible learning days?
The term “flexible learning day” refers to a school day when instead of coming to a school building teachers and students communicate online using Schoology, our digital learning platform. Teachers share assignments and hold virtual office hours while students complete assignments and receive guidance from teachers. This is made possible through our 1:1 iPad integration and the fact that 95% of our students have internet access in their home.
Our world is becoming pervasively digital and having the skills to learn well online is critical. Much of college curriculum and business training are today done this way, and this will only continue to grow. Our flexible learning days are a great transition step to this. Our teachers are still actively engaged with students, directing and overseeing their work.
Flexible learning days may be planned in advance or held in the event of unplanned school closures due to situations such as severe weather or a power outage.
Planned Flexible Learning Days
As part of budget realignments, four flexible learning days have been scheduled for the 2015-16 school year, saving the district $ 72,820 primarily in transportation and energy costs, to alleviate budget strain from years of under-funding. The dates for these days are:
- Monday, October 19, 2015
- Friday, January 15, 2016
- Friday February 12, 2016
- Friday, April 22, 2016
If a flexible learning day is unexpectedly called, due to severe weather or other emergency situations, April 22 will be a regular school day.
How planned flexible learning days work:
- Assignments will be posted in advance of the flexible learning day, no later than the evening before the scheduled day.
- Teachers will hold office hours from 10-11:30 am district-wide on the flexible learning day.
- The due dates for flexible learning day assignments will also be flexible to accommodate varying schedules. Please contact your child’s teacher if you have specific questions about due dates.
Emergency Flexible Learning Days
- Parents/Guardians will receive an automated phone call via the SchoolConnects service and announcements will be made on radio station WCCO and television stations WCCO, KSTP, KARE, and FOX, and the school district web page, www.farmington.k12.mn.us, prior to 6:30 a.m. that school will be closed. Students should not report to school but should engage in flexible learning activities as assigned.
- Teachers will post work by 10:00 AM for the students they would have seen that day.
- Teachers will be online during the school day to answer questions and provide guidance.
- The due dates for flexible learning day assignments will also be flexible.
- Read more about our winter weather policies and emergency flexible learning days here.
Students with special needs may face unique challenges while performing academic tasks independently. Provisions have been made for their needs. Please contact your child’s teacher(s) for more specific information.